Ava Maxi Dress
Just got this dress to wear for my "farm" wedding...After reading the reviews I decided to buy it in a size 0 even though the chart says I am a size 2. So glad I did! It fits perfect. I couldn't be happier with this wonderful dress. Yes, the sleeves are a bit different from the picture but I think they are just fine. It is low cut and finding a bra may be a bit of a challenge but for the price and the look of this dress it's worth it! Now if BHLDN would just have more affordable shoes to buy! I will not pay more for my shoes than my dress!
June 26, 2014
Wore this for my casual morning hilltop wedding. It was the perfect dress for me. No alterations needed, airy, light, and it felt amazing. It is low cut in the front and back and you will need some kind of a specialty adhesive bra and fashion tape to keep it together, though. Still, I loved it and it has a distinct Jane Austen/regency vibe. Bought it at the clearance price and I couldn't be happier. Thank you bhldn!
June 16, 2014
Close but not quite there
I bought this dress to wear for my casual winery wedding this far. As another reviewer pointed out below, the bust area of the slip is really really low. I bought size 2 and it fit everywhere else okay. But I don't see how you can make it work with a bra with the slip. The pictures on the website are a bit misleading in that sense. The sleeves are alot longer, too. They covered most of the upper arm. You will have to sew it up to have it stay up as pictured.
All in all, not a bad dress but not quite what I was hoping for...
May 12, 2014
Beautiful, but needs some adjustment
I bought this dress to wear to my upcoming casual outdoor wedding - overall, the style is gorgeous and flattering, but there are a few design flaws that will require some alterations to make this dress work.
- I am 5'5" and a street size 10 (38.5"-31.5"-41") - the fit guide recommended a 12, but the only size in stock was a 10 so I went with that. The 10 fit perfectly, close to the body but not too tight to breath/eat/dance, so I would advise those who are between sizes to size down. The dress is the right length for me with 3" heels, I will be having it hemmed to wear with flat sandals.
- As others have mentioned, the slip is sewn to the outer dress at the waist, which is MADDENING. I am a 34DD, and while the outer dress fits my bust nicely, the top of the slip is far too low no matter how I adjust it. I plan to wear this with a strapless longline bra with a low back, and the top of the cups stick out above the slip in the front. If the slip were separate from the rest of the dress this could be adjusted, as it is I think I will have to have a seamstress completely remake the bust area of the slip in order for it to be wearable. This would likely not be an issue for small-chested women, however it seems like a major design flaw that the bust of the slip is so small even in a larger overall size.
- The sleeves are very different from what's shown in the photos, they are longer (about halfway to the elbow) and the ruching is more pronounced. I don't mind that much, but be warned that they are not actually cap sleeves.
- I love that the sash is removable and suspect I will go without, the waistband of the dress looks nice and gives the right amount of waist definition without it.
- The fabrics feel nice overall, although the silk georgette of the outer dress is pretty wrinkly from being folded up in shipping. The two layers of the skirt can produce some MAJOR static cling - I will definitely be wearing another slip underneath and carrying a mini can of Static Guard to try to combat this!
All those 'cons' aside, it really is an incredibly flattering silhouette for a short, curvy lady like me. I love that it's a simple style that's not too embellished, and can look really modern or really romantic depending on your hairstyle and accessories. I am going to take it to a seamstress ASAP to see if we can work out the boob-issues, because I would love for this to be my dress!
April 25, 2014